Clare Gibson advises cities, school and community college districts, and other public agencies throughout California on public contracts, procurements and construction law and is a leading practitioner in this area. She takes a practical, personal and results-oriented approach to providing comprehensive legal services.
Clare assists agency staff to prepare, award and manage contracts in compliance with the law and following sensible, best practices to avoid costly disputes. She prepares user-friendly contract documents written in plain English and designed to be easy to understand and administer. Clare also represents clients in contract disputes and works to resolve disputes on a cost-effective basis, out of court whenever possible. She provides customized staff trainings on public contract issues, including bidding, prevailing wage compliance and project close out.
Clare has prepared amicus briefs on behalf of the League of California Cities on public contract issues before the State Court of Appeal and California Supreme Court. She frequently presents on public contract issues to attorney organizations, including the League’s City Attorney’s Department. She is a past Chapter Chair for the Public Contracting chapter of the California Municipal Law Handbook.
Clare received her law degree from U.C. Berkeley School of Law. She has been a partner in the firm since 2008. Clare also is a past City Attorney for the City of Larkspur and Assistant City Attorney for the City of Petaluma.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Public Works Legal Update, Presentation: League of California Cities, Public Works Officers Institute, Annual Conference, March 2018
- Prevailing Wage Compliance: What Cities Should Do To Avoid Penalties Under SB 96, Western City magazine, December 2017
- Front End First Aid: Critical Care for Public Works Documents, Paper and Presentation: League of California Cities, City Attorneys’ Department Spring Conference, May 2017
- Bid Problems Do Not Have To Be Big Problems, Two Part Series and MCLE Quiz: Public Law Journal Vol. 39, No. 3, Summer 2016 (Part 1) Vol. 40, No. 2, Spring 2017 (Part 2)
- Bid Protests: Minimizing and Managing Liability, Paper and presentation: County Counsel Association Fall 2016 Public Works Conference
- Bid Protests: Minimizing and Managing Liability, Paper and presentation: League of California Cities, City Attorneys’ Department Spring Conference, May 2015
- Bid Protests: The Good, Bad and the Ugly, Presenter: Sacramento County Bar Association, Public Law and Administrative Law Sections, September 10, 2014
- Bay Cities Paving & Grading v. City of San Leandro: Assessing Materiality of Bidding Errors, Presenter: Contra Costa County City Attorneys’ Association, March 6, 2014
- Public Works Contracts in a Tough Economy: Tips and Techniques for City Attorneys, Presenter: League of California Cities Webinar, July 12, 2011
- Construction Law Overview, Presenter: Sonoma County Office of Education Trustee Workshop, February 1, 2007
- Construction Law Workshop, Presenter: Sonoma County Office of Education Workshop, October 24, 2006
- Purchasing & Construction Law Workshop, Presenter: School and College Legal Services Workshop, December 9, 2003
- Regulation of School Districts, Presenter: League of California Cities, City Attorneys’ Department Conference May 2003
LEAGUE OF CALIFORNIA CITIES
- Roy Allen Slurry Seal, Inc. v. American Asphalt South (2017) 2 Cal.5th 505, Drafted and submitted amicus brief to California Supreme Court on behalf of the League of California Cities
- League of California Cities Municipal Law Handbook Committee, Editorial Board 2014 and 2015: Chapter Chair, Chapter 7, Public Contracting
- Bay Cities Paving & Grading v. City of San Leandro (2014) 223 Cal.App.4th 1181, Drafted and submitted amicus brief and successful request for publication on behalf of the League of California Cities